I know, rice is not Paleo but it is still one of my favorite foods. In this 200 word nutrition tip I am going to teach you how to make your rice taste better and be more nutritious at the same time.
Ever heard of GABA? Gamma-Amino Butyric Acid is a mood enhancement amino acid that occurs in many foods but seems to be more concentrated in sprouted brown rice. GABA acts as a neurotransmitter and can calm nervous activity.
We start with whole grain brown rice, water and a strainer.
1. Rinse 1 1/2 cups (or more if desired) brown rice several times until the water is clear.
2. Place the rice in a bowl and cover well with filtered water.
3. Let stand 12 hours or overnight.
4. Pour rice into a strainer and rinse well.
5. Set the strainer over a bowl to drain out of direct sunlight. Cover with a clean dishtowel.
6. Every 12 hours, rinse the rice well.
7. After 24 to 48 hours, small sprouts will appear. Use or refrigerate or freeze the rice until ready to use.
8. Cook as you would cook un-sprouted brown rice, using slightly less water (for the 1 1/2 cups of rice in this recipe, use 2 cups water). The cooking time will also be shorter.
Ross, Julia, 2002, “The Mood Cure”