By Steven Ashton circa 2009
This recipe has evolved over the years and has become a primary comfort food in my household.
I have always made this dish in my iron skillet. When I first started preparing it I would place the entire skillet w/lid in the oven at 350 for up to 45 minutes. This really caramelized and sometimes burned the sweet potatoes and other ingredients.
4-6 boneless chicken thighs
4 medium to large sweet potatoes
1 medium to large white onion
4 cloves of garlic
generous amounts of yellow curry powder
fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
1. crush and finely chop garlic and set aside
2. preheat iron skillet and add two tablespoons of lard or bacon grease
3. cut onions and sweet potatoes into 1 inch chunks
4. add all ingredients to skillet
5. add all spices and stir
6. place lid on skillet and put in oven or on stove on medium heat or 350 if using oven
Moisture content of sweet potatoes and onions will determine cooking time but average is about 30 minutes. The idea is to get the sugars in the vegetables to caramelize without burning. Carmelization will occur just prior to burning so watch this carefully after about 25 minutes.
Can be served over a spring mix of greens with olive oil drizzled over top.
This dish is exceptional when reheated and eaten the next day.